NSIT and the LLLC
A prominent and well respected engineering institue, NSIT have started thir oen linux club. The institute which teaches basics of linux in one of their bachelor courses have RH 8/9 on their machines but the students don't know much of Linux.
This will soon change thanks to the LLLC -- Let's Learn Linux Club. Hatched up by a couple of 2/3 year students of a bachelor program, the club has support from the Institute's dean as well as the Professors.
The first meet was scheduled to be held today, I am still to recieve the minutes of the meet. The NSIT website though says nothing of the club, which might change soon. A friend of mine, who is a member of the club and a student at NSIT, reports that the club has already a huge number of registered members. The numbers are not available as yet :)
I see this as a great way of promoting Linux. It has been my desire to see more of FOSS in the Indian education system. Something like this club should become a priority for all universities/colleges/institutes.
Regular seminars should be conducted to create interest and spread awaerness. A couple of months ago I was at the Delhi College of Engineering, which had conducted a seminar on Linux. Robert Adkins and Alolita Sharma of Technetra, who are good friends were the other guys. I gave a demo of various flavours of Linux including Knoppix 3.4 and Vector Linux and Bob talked about LAMP, his favourite topic. Alolita talked about Licensing and the basics of linux.
Such a seminar is neccessary for all colleges. Neigh, it's the demand of the hour. It was amazing to find out how unaware students in India are. Most of the students at DCE thought MS Windows was free and I had a helluva tough time getting it across to them that it was not.
It's because of the Indian education system that students are not up to date on issues regarding licensing and piracy. I believe in striking the iron when it's hot -- students should be taught FOSS and should be kept up to date on emerging technological advances.
Unless FOSS is taken up by the education system at the grass root level, I see no hope from students in the field of FOSS.
This will soon change thanks to the LLLC -- Let's Learn Linux Club. Hatched up by a couple of 2/3 year students of a bachelor program, the club has support from the Institute's dean as well as the Professors.
The first meet was scheduled to be held today, I am still to recieve the minutes of the meet. The NSIT website though says nothing of the club, which might change soon. A friend of mine, who is a member of the club and a student at NSIT, reports that the club has already a huge number of registered members. The numbers are not available as yet :)
I see this as a great way of promoting Linux. It has been my desire to see more of FOSS in the Indian education system. Something like this club should become a priority for all universities/colleges/institutes.
Regular seminars should be conducted to create interest and spread awaerness. A couple of months ago I was at the Delhi College of Engineering, which had conducted a seminar on Linux. Robert Adkins and Alolita Sharma of Technetra, who are good friends were the other guys. I gave a demo of various flavours of Linux including Knoppix 3.4 and Vector Linux and Bob talked about LAMP, his favourite topic. Alolita talked about Licensing and the basics of linux.
Such a seminar is neccessary for all colleges. Neigh, it's the demand of the hour. It was amazing to find out how unaware students in India are. Most of the students at DCE thought MS Windows was free and I had a helluva tough time getting it across to them that it was not.
It's because of the Indian education system that students are not up to date on issues regarding licensing and piracy. I believe in striking the iron when it's hot -- students should be taught FOSS and should be kept up to date on emerging technological advances.
Unless FOSS is taken up by the education system at the grass root level, I see no hope from students in the field of FOSS.
